Welcome to the ACWA webpage for state, interstate, and other-entity resources on COVID-19.
We are identifying key concerns and open questions regarding COVID-19’s impacts to clean water programs, as well as emerging issues inhibiting clean water program implementation. Because operating environments are constantly changing, ACWA is working to support peer-to-peer information sharing as frequently and expeditiously as possible. If you have any concerns, resources, or updates to contribute, please email email@example.com.
Page last updated 5/11/2020.
Federal and International Guidance
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- Water Transmission and COVID-19
- Interim Guidelines for Public Health Communicators
- Clinical Quesitons about COVID-19 FAQ (see Waste Management section; 4-11-2020)
Department of Homeland Security
- Master List of Questions and Answers: COVID-19 and Water (38 pages)
- GUIDANCE ON THE CRITICAL INFRASTRUCTURE WORKFORCE (3-19-2020)
- Pandemic Impacts to Lifeline Critical Infrastructure [Including Water and Wastewater]
Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
- Frequent Questions about Wastewater and Septic Systems
- Maintaining or Restoring Water Quality in Buildings with Low or No Use (5/6/2020)
- EPA Letter to Governors Re: COVID-19 and Essential Workers (March 27, 2020)
- Memorandum on COVID-19 Implications for EPA’s Enforcement and Compliance Assurance Program (March 26, 2020)
- This policy applies retroactively beginning March 13, 2020 and has implications for state, local, and private partners.
- Coronavirus and Drinking Water and Wastewater
- Clearinghouse of Active Guidance Documents
- Resources for State, Local and Tribal Agencies and Associations
Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA)
- Wastewater Workers and Employers: COVID-19 Control and Prevention
National Institutes of Health (NIH)
United States (All Federal Agencies)
- US Government Response to COVID-19 Page (All Agency Activities)
Water Information Sharing & Analysis Center (WaterISAC)
U.S. water/wastewater associations and research foundations established WaterISAC in 2002, in coordination with EPA. WaterISAC was authorized by Congress in the 2002 Bioterrorism Act as the designated information sharing and operations arm of the Water Sector Coordinating Council.
World Health Organization
- Novel Coronavirus: Introductory training for for public health professionals; incident managers; and NGO personnel
- Getting your workplace ready for COVID-19
- Water, Sanitation, Hygiene, and Waste Management Interim Guidance for COVID-19 (Issued 3-19-2020)
Water, Wastewater Organization Resources
American Water Works Associations (AWWA)
Association of State Drinking Water Administrators (ASDWA)
National Rural Water Association (NRWA)
- “NRWA is requesting each State [NRWA] Association compile a list of certified water and wastewater operators who might be available to provide on-site emergency assistance to systems if operators and technicians are impacted by COVID-19. State Associations should broadly reach out to develop a listing of available personnel, including to state agencies. This list can include retired or semi-retired operators, certified individuals not currently working as an operator, qualified consultants, or other related individuals. … If you are a retired or semi-retired operator, certified individual not currently working as an operator, qualified consultant, or other related individual willing to provide relief to systems that need backup coverage, please contact your state [NRWA] association.” Learn more here.
Water Environment Federation (WEF)
- Webcast Wastewater Epidemiology and Coronavirus (Public Service Announcement): What it does and does not tell us [Recorded April 24]
- Clean Water Act Regulatory Issues in a Pandemic – Webcast 3-20-2020
- Water and Wastewater Professional’s Guide to Novel Coronavirus
- Current Priority: Coronavirus
- PSA: Will It Flush?
Water Research Foundation (WRF)
- Novel Coronavirus Research Update 3-12-2020
- WRF Announces Structure, Co-Chairs for Virtual International Water Research Summit on Environmental Surveillance of COVID-19 Indicators in Sewersheds
- Webcast: Latest Coronavirus Research Update 3-16-2020
- Business Continuity Plans for Water Utilities
State and Local Association Resources
Association of Public Health Laboratories (APHL)
- Laboratory Professionals: COVID-19 Response
- Crisis Management Guidance for Public Health Laboratories
- Guidelines for the Public Health Laboratory Continuity of Operations Plan (COOP)
- Emerging Infectious Diseases Planning and Response Framework
League of Cities
National Association of Counties (NACO)
- Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19): County Response Efforts & Priorities
- Coronavirus: More than 430 counties declare emergency
National Conference of State Legislatures (NCSL)
National Governors Association (NGA)
Check for updates regarding emerging Governor Declarations and evolving state-wide policies.
Academia & Water Sector
- Peer-reviewed journal Environmental Science and Technology is making a special collection of articles, “Overview of Research on the Fate and Behavior of Enveloped Viruses in the Environment,” free to access here.
- Link to: Johns Hopkins Interactive COVID-19 Cases Map (scale: municipal to global)
- Stantec: White Paper Summary, Considerations for Water and Wastewater Treatment related to the recent outbreak (routinely updated)
- House approves $480 billion package to help small businesses and hospitals, expand Covid-19 testing (4/24/2020)
- Senate passes $484 billion coronavirus deal after weeks of deadlock (4/21/2020)
- Trump signs historic $2 trillion stimulus after Congress passes it Friday (3/27/2020)
- House passes historic $2 trillion stimulus despite objections from GOP lawmaker (3/27/2020)
- Senate approves historic $2 trillion stimulus deal amid growing coronavirus fears (3/26/2020)
- Wastewater Utilities Seek $12.5b for Virus-related Losses (3/20/2020 – access may require subscription)
- Trump signs coronavirus relief legislation into law (3/19/2020)